Wednesday 28 May 2008

Protos - First Real Flights

Ok. I have had the Protos out for a few flight since sorting my static problem. It has been a dream to fly. I love the way the Protos sounds as it spools up. Very quiet. Just air being slammed out of the way.

Last night: I was still getting used to it and it was getting dark. I did only a couple or rolls and figure of eights. I did some pitch pumps and MAN this thing is lightening! I have it setup pretty calm since I still have the 18 tooth pinion on there:

Numbers:
- 2400 - 2500 RPM head speed on the ground (depending on battery)
- 10 degrees collective pitch
- 6 degrees cyclic pitch (roll-flip)

Today: I flew just a bit harder after dialing in the head speed a little more. Flips, rolls, funnels, pitch pumps, stall turns, etc. This thing climbs a lot faster than my 450 does at 3000hs. I am having put in a lot less pitch when rolling or flipping or it climbs a lot. I hate to think what would have happened if I had left the pitch over 12 degrees! I also think I need a little more expo on the tail, but I am getting used to it.

Milliamps per minute: I am using right around 300ma/minute. This means that I should be able to get 5 minutes per battery. I think this will get better once i get the 15t pinion and am able to run higher throttle on the ESC.

If the weather gets better maybe I will get to a bigger field where I can let loose a little more. Maybe some video. Here's hoping.

No comments: